KOOLpod

Monday, September 6, 2010

The Lost Passion

By profession, I was a banker right after college. Then I was wheedled into entertainment industry, which was actually already a part of my life since I was young.



I was a painter when I was a little 6 year old boy. I would paint all day long; and it came naturally without any formal training. I would paint landscapes, portraits, objects such as fruits and knickknacks items and events such as Word War II; soldiers with guns and exploding backgrounds. I would paint a football (soccer) goalkeeper diving to save a striker’s shot. Such was my passion with the game that I myself would become a goalkeeper as well later on.

But the most intriguing of all to me was calligraphy. It would need a certain graphic design intuition and understanding of the words being painted. It was helped of course by my grandpa who was an Imam at our local mosque; who would always love to see a verse from Al-Quran being painted into a beautiful artwork.

Immediately after MCE (Malaysia Certificate of Education) examinations and out of the Technical Institute where I took up a Building Construction course; I was offered to work as a Naval Draftsman at a shipyard – Limbungan Timur Sdn. Bhd. in my hometown Kuala Terengganu, Malaysia.

I was there for seven months and would then leave for my college education. The Naval Architect (an Englishman – his name has escaped my mind for some time; but I would remember him chain-smoking filter-less Blue Player’s Navy Cut cigarettes) at the shipyard was adamant that I should stay so he would be able to send me to Holland to study Naval Architecture.



Fate would rule the universe I was in; I would end up not staying. But I would remember during my first semester break to come back to the shipyard and learn that the Naval Architect was staying in a boat-house I designed for him before I left; just across the shipyard.

Off I went to UiTM, even leaving behind my Band-Mates (I was a lead guitarist and a lead singer) and my first real girlfriend. She would later marry a guy because she would not wait for me to finish college and would envision me leaving her for someone who would be far more attractive and intelligent than a kampung (village) girl like her. I would come back to attend her wedding and watched her being solemnized as someone’s else wife.

I would then engrossed myself in music. I would later (after my banking days) become a pop singer and venture into TV and Film-making as well as Animations; thus finishing a full circle – back to my first love, art and design.

But I would not draw or paint anymore. The passion has left me together with those moments that flew away. I would just sit in front of my digital companions; workstations, applications, soft-wares, whatever-wares; and meddle with those mind-boggling artificial intelligent beings.

Perhaps time would bestow me with that love one more time – and I would be happy to just stroll along beautiful landscapes and start painting them again; passionately and lovingly.